Work at the BBA
Boston Bar Association Seeks a Membership Director
The Boston Bar Association is seeking an experienced Membership Director who is interested in leading a talented team to drive growth and engagement among BBA members in pursuit of the organization’s mission. This position represents a rare opportunity to become part of an association that is a national leader in policy, education, DEI and service for the legal profession.
The Boston Bar Association is the Commonwealth’s premier legal institution, bringing together the brightest and most influential lawyers and legal professionals to lead at the forefront of the profession.
Our mission is to advance the highest standards of excellence for the legal profession, facilitate access to justice, foster a diverse and inclusive profession, and serve the community at large.
The BBA is a leader in professional development, and hosts hundreds of virtual and in-person educational programs, networking sessions and industry-based conferences each year. The organization also advocates for major policy initiatives on the improvement of the law and in pursuit of justice. The BBA has long been at the forefront of issues like Civil Right to Counsel, Criminal Justice Reform and the Rule of Law. The BBA works with its charitable affiliate, the Boston Bar Foundation, to promote DEI in the community and profession and to provide critical legal services to people in need.
Headquartered at 16 Beacon Street in the historic Chester Harding House, the BBA has more than 15,000 members drawn from private practice, corporations, government agencies, legal aid organizations, the courts, and law schools as well as over 140 supporters from firms, agencies, and non-profits.
The organization has come out of the pandemic in a position of considerable strength with an active and engaged member base and a steadfast leadership team. This year, BBA President Chinh Pham is leading the organization to focus on helping law students and new lawyers who have struggled to find connections and a meaningful path in the profession over the last several years.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
TITLE: Director of Membership
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer / Assistant Executive Director
Member Services Supervisor; Manager of New Lawyer Engagement; Forums Assistant; Membership Engagement Assistant
The Director of Membership is responsible for leading the development, implementation, and evaluation of membership growth strategies, as well as day-to-day management of member data, renewal, recruitment, and customer service. This position is primarily responsible for individual and group memberships but works closely with Department Directors on strategies for growing firm and in-house sponsors, engaging key membership segments and identifying programs and services to enhance the value of membership.
Date: November 2022
- Lead the association’s efforts to grow membership and work collaboratively to coordinate those membership strategies with efforts to recruit new firm and in-house sponsors and develop additional sources of revenue.
- Oversee the renewal and recruitment strategies for individual and group memberships to reach annual targets and engage the business development team on membership marketing initiatives, including email marketing, direct mail marketing, and telemarketing campaigns.
- Initiate and manage the development of services, programs and membership packages that serve key constituencies of the BBA. As part of that, oversee key membership forums to maximize engagement and grow membership.
- Work with all staff to promote the value of membership and consistently deliver a high-quality member experience.
- Oversee all membership data, tracking and reporting in collaboration with the F&A group including but not limited to: ensuring the accuracy of membership records, evaluating and reporting on membership trends, maintaining new and prospective member information and ensuring a high-quality member experience throughout the join and renewal processes.
- Create the annual individual membership budget and dues table in collaboration with other Department Directors, taking into consideration membership trends, the current market, and other sources of revenue.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidate Qualifications: Applicants must have demonstrated success fostering collaboration and leading internal teams. The position requires a person who is passionate about the mission and has an entrepreneurial approach to new challenges.
- 5+ years of experience managing direct reports.
- 5+ of experience in a membership, development, volunteer, or constituent management position.
- Demonstrated experience in growing membership, customers, and donors.
- An understanding of sales, marketing, and data.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of tools and experience working with databases.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent oral and written communication abilities, and a commitment to delivering the highest level of customer service.
- College degree required. Experience or interest in the legal profession preferred.
Salary and Benefits
- The salary set for this position is $110,000-130,000 and depending on experience.
- After an initial period, this position is eligible for some work from home days as business allows.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)— The BBA also offers 15 days of vacation to exempt employees and a significant number of paid holidays each year including a holiday closure.
- BBA has a competitive benefits package including:
- Health and Dental Insurance – The BBA pays between 90% and 80% of the premium cost for the default insurance plans with additional options at an additional expense to you.
- Vision Insurance – Vision insurance may be purchased by regular full-time employees through pre-tax payroll deduction. Further details of the plan, schedule of coverage, and premiums are enclosed.
- Life/AD&D, STD, and LTD Insurance – Employee life insurance is provided at no cost to each full-time employee including accidental death & dismemberment coverage. Other insurance is available for purchase.
- 401(k) Plan – The BBA sponsors a 401(k) Plan for all employees through the American Bar Association (ABA) Retirement Funds Program.
- 401(k) Employee Contributions – Immediately upon hire, you may contribute up to the Internal Revenue Code maximum allowable per year.
- 401(k) Employer Contribution – The BBA provides eligible employees with an employer contribution to their 401(k) account through the ABA Retirement Funds Program.
- Application Deadline January 20: Applicants must send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com by January 20, 2023.